The Evangeline Genealogical and Historical Society will meet Saturday April 16 at the main library (Ville Platte) at 9:30 a.m. Everybody is welcome.
Early voting for the Library Property Tax Continuation will be held at the courthouse from April 16 through 23rd. There will be no voting on April 22nd due to Good Friday. For more information, please contact the Registrar of Voters.
The Friends of the Library will meet Tuesday April 12 at 6 p.m. at the main library (Ville Platte). Everybody is invited, and refreshments will be served.
Early voting for continuation of the Evangeline Parish Library’s existing property tax will take place April 16-21 from 8:30 to 6 at the courthouse in Ville Platte, and Saturday April 23 from 8:30 to 6 also at the courthouse. The voting is closed on Friday the 22nd for Good Friday. Here are some facts about the library system and about the tax proposition:
- This is a continuation of the existing tax rate at its current rate, not an additional tax.
- It is the ONLY tax to fund the library.
- It funds the ENTIRE system: headquarters in Ville Platte and five branches in Basile, Chataignier, Mamou, Pine Prairie, and Turkey Creek.
- It is for the same millage that property tax payers are now paying (5.21 mills).
- It is the primary funding source for operations, maintenance, supplies, renovation, construction, etc. for all of the six library facilities.
- While in some cases it is supplemented by grant funding, it cannot be replaced by grant funds.
Who uses the library? We had over 20,000 registered patrons (library card holders) in 2010. The library is used by:
- Families: mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, guardians
- Grade school children
- High school and college students
- Young adults
- Job seekers
- Local historians
- Visitors and tourists (for example, visitors to Chicot Park)
Informational flyers about library use are available at the library branches. You can also find out more by calling the main library (363-1369). In addition, there will be a presentation about the tax proposition at the Friends of the Library meeting on Tuesday April 12th at 6 p.m. at the main library (Ville Platte).
The Evangeline Genealogical and Historical Society will meet at 9:30 a.m. on Sat. April 16th at the main library. Everybody is welcome. Come meet fellow researchers, swap information tips, and learn more about the library’s local history resources. The library is proud to make preservation of local history an important part of its mission.