- Monday, September 22: The new main library opens to the public. Everybody welcome!
- Friday, September 26 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.: The formal grand opening/dedication ceremony for the new library will be held. This will include also a special flag raising ceremony.
- Saturday, September 27 from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. The Friends of the Library are sponsoring a special Family and Friends fun morning at the new library.
We will be announcing grand opening plans very soon, if the weather cooperates. In the meantime, the current library will be closed Sept. 4th through Sept. 21st. We hope to reopen at the new location on Monday Sept. 22nd and hold our formal grand opening/building dedication on the afternoon of Friday Sept. 26th. This will be followed Saturday morning (Sept. 27th) with special activities for the kids, sponsored by the Friends of the Library. Here’s hoping that the weather cooperates with both the move and the grand opening!
While we are closed, the Mamou branch, our largest branch library, will function as the main library. The branch manager at Mamou is Angie Henry, and assistant manager is Gigi Guillory. The Mamou branch phone number is (337) 468-5750. We will try to keep all 5 branches running during the changeover. All five branches by the way just had their bandwidth more than tripled.
It has been a long journey–much longer than expected–but Patriot Contracting, the takeover contractor for the surety after the first contractor defaulted, has done a great job.
Chris Reedy is site superintendent for Patriot, a company out of Houston. Many people have probably met him around Ville Platte in the past few months. He is working very hard to get this project done.
Last week was a good one, with the building’s interior passing many inspections. In addition, the library has begun the work of getting shelving set up. This will take at least two weeks. There are also many other steps to complete.
The shelving work is not part of the building contract.
There are still items to be done, both by Patriot and by library staff and other vendors. But we are getting closer.
Special thanks to Mr. Kenneth O’Connor and his crew for making the courtyard look beautiful!
Fines will be waived on any items returned in good condition during August and September 2014. In addition, generous discounts will apply for existing fines and fees when paid in full. This is the library’s way of saying, “Thank you” for your support year round.
If you haven’t experienced this petting zoo yet, you’re in for a real treat! The Bar None staff bring a wide assortment of wonderful animals for adults and kids to enjoy. You may wind up feeding a baby goat, or holding a hedgehog, or petting a lizard on your shoulder! You never know what you will find with the Bar None! Come out to the Grand Pavilion at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, July 22nd, and see for yourself how much fun all ages can have with a very family-friendly petting zoo. Admission is FREE.
This event is sponsored through a grant from the Friends of the Evangeline Parish Library. Thank you, Friends!
In State Library News…
- STATE LIBRARY SUMMER READING PROGRAM ANNOUNCED
- LETTERS ABOUT LITERATURE CONTEST WINNERS
- TEEN VIDEO CHALLENGE 2014 WINNERS ANNOUNCED
- STATE LIBRARIAN HAMILTON RECEIVES COMMUNITY PARTNER AWARD
- BOURQUE HONORED WITH LOUISIANA WRITER AWARD
- 2014 LOUISIANA READERS’ CHOICE AWARD WINNERS
- STATE LIBRARY ANNOUNCES POETRY MONTH PROGRAM LINEUP
- STATE LIBRARY ANNOUNCES 2014 TEEN VIDEO CHALLENGE
- STATE LIBRARY TO CELEBRATE BLACK HISTORY MONTH
- THE HOUSE ON COLISEUM STREET FEATURED AS BOOK FESTIVAL COMMUNITY READ