Jim Fogleman of the Louisiana Archaeological Society will present “Preshistoric Trade in Central Louisiana” tonight (Tues. Oct. 18) at 6 p.m. at the main library. Jim will bring many examples of artifacts and help the audience identify artifacts. Admission is free, and refreshments will be served. For more information, please call 363-1369.
Saturday, Oct. 15 at 9:30 a.m.: Jim Bradshaw, noted local columnist and historian, will speak on the history of Evangeline Parish. This event is co-sponsored by the Evangeline Genealogical and Historical Society and the Library. The event is part of the Genealogical and Historical Society’s quarterly meeting. Admission is free, and everybody is welcome. Refreshments will be served. Come hear Jim and network with family researchers. Newcomers welcome!
Tuesday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m. at the main library: James Fogleman, educator and local archaelogist, will speak on “Prehistoric Trade in Central Louisiana.” Jimmy will bring artifacts and will identify artifacts if you have any that you would like to ask him about. Admission is free, and refreshments will be served.
These events are part of the library’s celebration of the parish’s centennial and of October as Louisiana Archaelogy Month. Come join us at the main library in Ville Platte this Saturday morning the 15th and Tuesday evening the 18th!
The Friends of the Library will sell the following:
- Food and coffee
- Books: hardbacks 25 cents each; paperbacks 10 cents each. After 10 a.m., buy one, get one of the same type free!
- 2012 Book Lover’s calendars: buy one for $10; get a second one half price!
The Friends of the Library are also sponsoring this year’s “Vendor Cash” door prizes through the generosity of many local donors.
The Library will sponsor:
- An author talk by Linda Lebert-Corbello, author of “In the Shadow of My Brother’s Cold Blood” (nonfiction), conference room at civic center at 10 a.m.
- An author talk by Ville Platte native and KVPI personality Nancy K. Duplechain, author of “Dark Bayou” (thriller), conference room at 10:30 a.m.
- An author talk by John LaFleur, well known Evangeline Parish teacher and KVPI personality, author of “Creole Gourmet Secrets of Louisiana,” conference room at 11 a.m.
- KVPI live remote broadcast with Mark Layne, 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
- Clowns and balloon twisting and face painting
- Music by “E-T Mon”
Also participating are numerous nonprofits and local vendors, plus the Dolly Parton Imagination Library and the Sonic mascot.
Come join us for a morning of fun and bargains Saturday Oct. 8 from 8 to noon at the Northside Civic Center on Soileau St. in Ville Platte. Call 363-1369 for directions.
The Friends of the Library are seeking more donations of books in good condition for their big annual book sale at the Family Book and Culture Fest at the Northside Civic Center in Ville Platte.
Books are needed by Friday, Oct. 7. The sale is Sat. Oct. 8 from 8 a.m. to 12 noon.
To donate books, please bring books to the main library in Ville Platte or to any of the library branches before Friday Oct. 7. For more information or to volunteer to help with Book Fest, please call 363-1369. Thank you for your donations and help.
Come meet the Friends of the Library, learn more about the new main library project, and help plan for the upcoming Book Fest! The Friends meet at the main library at 6 p.m. Everybody is welcome (you don’t have to join the Friends to attend), and refreshments will be served.