The Library Board meeting originally scheduled for Monday Sept. 15th will be rescheduled for a later date, to be announced.
All public library branches in Evangeline Parish will be closed this Friday afternoon September 19th . Branch staff will be attending a meeting at the new main library. The branch libraries will reopen at their regularly scheduled dates and times next week. The branches will be closed again on Friday morning Sept. 26th so that branch managers and staff can participate in the grand opening ceremony at the new main library in Ville Platte. For more information, please call 363-1369 or the branch nearest you.
- Monday, September 22: The new main library opens to the public. Everybody welcome!
- Friday, September 26 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.: The formal grand opening/dedication ceremony for the new library will be held. This will include also a special flag raising ceremony.
- Saturday, September 27 from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. The Friends of the Library are sponsoring a special Family and Friends fun morning at the new library.
We will be announcing grand opening plans very soon, if the weather cooperates. In the meantime, the current library will be closed Sept. 4th through Sept. 21st. We hope to reopen at the new location on Monday Sept. 22nd and hold our formal grand opening/building dedication on the afternoon of Friday Sept. 26th. This will be followed Saturday morning (Sept. 27th) with special activities for the kids, sponsored by the Friends of the Library. Here’s hoping that the weather cooperates with both the move and the grand opening!
While we are closed, the Mamou branch, our largest branch library, will function as the main library. The branch manager at Mamou is Angie Henry, and assistant manager is Gigi Guillory. The Mamou branch phone number is (337) 468-5750. We will try to keep all 5 branches running during the changeover. All five branches by the way just had their bandwidth more than tripled.
It has been a long journey–much longer than expected–but Patriot Contracting, the takeover contractor for the surety after the first contractor defaulted, has done a great job.
Chris Reedy is site superintendent for Patriot, a company out of Houston. Many people have probably met him around Ville Platte in the past few months. He is working very hard to get this project done.
Last week was a good one, with the building’s interior passing many inspections. In addition, the library has begun the work of getting shelving set up. This will take at least two weeks. There are also many other steps to complete.
The shelving work is not part of the building contract.
There are still items to be done, both by Patriot and by library staff and other vendors. But we are getting closer.
Special thanks to Mr. Kenneth O’Connor and his crew for making the courtyard look beautiful!
In State Library News…
- LA BOOK FESTIVAL FEATURES EXCITING CHILDREN AND TEENS PROGRAMS
- MODERN BAPTISTS AND THE GRAPES OF WRATH FEATURED IN BOOK FESTIVAL GROUP DISCUSSIONS
- LA BOOK FESTIVAL NEEDS VOLUNTEERS
- STATE LIBRARY ANNOUNCES LETTERS ABOUT LITERATURE CONTEST
- ANNUAL LOUISIANA BOOK FESTIVAL RETURNS THIS FALL
- WRITING WORKSHOPS HELD DAY BEFORE LOUISIANA BOOK FESTIVAL
- STATE LIBRARY SUMMER READING PROGRAM ANNOUNCED
- LETTERS ABOUT LITERATURE CONTEST WINNERS
- TEEN VIDEO CHALLENGE 2014 WINNERS ANNOUNCED
- STATE LIBRARIAN HAMILTON RECEIVES COMMUNITY PARTNER AWARD