Today (Oct. 28th) through Thursday Oct. 30th the Mamou Branch Library is having a coloring contest. Pages will be colored at the library, and winners will be announced Friday Oct. 31st at 3 p.m. You do not need to be present to win.
The Evangeline Genealogical and Historical Society will meet Sat. Oct. 18th at 9:30 a.m. at the new main library (916 W. Main St., Ville Platte). Everybody is welcome.
As a very special treat, the guest speaker will be one of the reenactors from the Opelousas cemetery tours! We don’t know which one, so come be surprised!
Special computer classes taught by Evangeline Parish’s own Tobin Deville, an excellent certified instructor. Each class is a stand-alone two hour session. Each is free to the public, and provided by Evangeline Parish Library through an agreement with La Convergence. Each class is limited to 15 students, adult students only, please. Priority is given to registrants living, working, or owning property in Evangeline Parish. Registrants who do not meet these criteria will be placed on the waiting list and notified if there is space available. Please call 363-1369 to register. All classes will be held in the multipurpose room of the new main library, 916 W. Main St., Ville Platte
Classes are as follows:
- October 20, 10 a.m. to noon: Computer Basics
- October 20, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Ereaders and Tablets (bring your own device)
- October 27, 10 a.m. to noon: Internet 1
- October 27, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Email 101
- November 3, 10 a.m. to noon: Windows 8
- November 3, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Internet 2
- November 10, 10 a.m. to noon: Computer Security
- November 10, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.: Computer Tutor
When the main library opens to the public at its usual Wednesday time (10 a.m.), patrons will be asked to enter through the multipurpose room or the courtyard. We are doing this due to concrete work on the front ramp to make the ramp longer. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you have questions or need help entering the building, please call 363-1369.
Reminder: The main library stays open 2 hours later on Tuesday (open to 8 p.m.) and opens to the public 2 hours later on Wednesday (opens at 10 a.m.). Staff are in the building before 10, but they are in the weekly staff meeting.
Due to the grand opening/dedication ceremony, the new library will not open to the public until after the actual ceremony. This will end approximately at 9:45, followed by refreshments in the courtyard and tours of the building.
Thank you for your patience. Everybody is invited to the ceremony and to use the library after the ceremony is over.
In State Library News…
- LOUISIANA BOOK FESTIVAL ANNOUNCES 2014 POETRY PROGRAMS
- LA BOOK FESTIVAL FEATURES EXCITING CHILDREN AND TEENS PROGRAMS
- MODERN BAPTISTS AND THE GRAPES OF WRATH FEATURED IN BOOK FESTIVAL GROUP DISCUSSIONS
- LA BOOK FESTIVAL NEEDS VOLUNTEERS
- STATE LIBRARY ANNOUNCES LETTERS ABOUT LITERATURE CONTEST
- ANNUAL LOUISIANA BOOK FESTIVAL RETURNS THIS FALL
- WRITING WORKSHOPS HELD DAY BEFORE LOUISIANA BOOK FESTIVAL
- STATE LIBRARY SUMMER READING PROGRAM ANNOUNCED
- LETTERS ABOUT LITERATURE CONTEST WINNERS
- TEEN VIDEO CHALLENGE 2014 WINNERS ANNOUNCED