Early voting for continuation of the Evangeline Parish Library’s existing property tax will take place April 16-21 from 8:30 to 6 at the courthouse in Ville Platte, and Saturday April 23 from 8:30 to 6 also at the courthouse. The voting is closed on Friday the 22nd for Good Friday. Here are some facts about the library system and about the tax proposition:
- This is a continuation of the existing tax rate at its current rate, not an additional tax.
- It is the ONLY tax to fund the library.
- It funds the ENTIRE system: headquarters in Ville Platte and five branches in Basile, Chataignier, Mamou, Pine Prairie, and Turkey Creek.
- It is for the same millage that property tax payers are now paying (5.21 mills).
- It is the primary funding source for operations, maintenance, supplies, renovation, construction, etc. for all of the six library facilities.
- While in some cases it is supplemented by grant funding, it cannot be replaced by grant funds.
Who uses the library? We had over 20,000 registered patrons (library card holders) in 2010. The library is used by:
- Families: mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts, uncles, guardians
- Grade school children
- High school and college students
- Young adults
- Job seekers
- Local historians
- Visitors and tourists (for example, visitors to Chicot Park)
Informational flyers about library use are available at the library branches. You can also find out more by calling the main library (363-1369). In addition, there will be a presentation about the tax proposition at the Friends of the Library meeting on Tuesday April 12th at 6 p.m. at the main library (Ville Platte).
The Evangeline Genealogical and Historical Society will meet at 9:30 a.m. on Sat. April 16th at the main library. Everybody is welcome. Come meet fellow researchers, swap information tips, and learn more about the library’s local history resources. The library is proud to make preservation of local history an important part of its mission.
The Friends of the Evangeline Parish Library will meet Tuesday, April 12th at 6 p.m. at the main library. Everybody is invited, and refreshments will be served. Come meet the Friends and learn more about their work.
Through book sales and other sales, the Friends earn money to help fund special library programs and activities. This year the Friends have voted to award a $2,000 grant to the Library to help pay for incentive prizes for Summer Reading. Thank you, Friends!
The Library Board of Control will meet Monday, March 28th, at 4 p.m. at the Main Library (242 W. Main St., Ville Platte). The meeting is open to the public, and public attendance and comments are welcomed. Refreshments will be served. An agenda will be posted no later than Thurs. March 24th at the Main Library and branches.
Tuesday March 15 at the Main Library (Ville Platte) at 6 p.m. the Friends of the Evangeline Parish Library will meet. Everybody is invited, and refreshments will be served.